Before you consider getting a pug, ask yourself what you expect from having this kind of dog. Here are a few Characteristics of Pugs:
- extremely cute, their whole lives
- not aggressive at all
- because of the short nose they are limited in long runs and even walks in the hot weather
- sensitive to cold and hot temperature
- they like your attention most of the time and they will do sometimes very strange and funny looking things to get your attention. Some say pugs are little clowns, they show off to make you laugh and love them even more.
- they snore when they sleep, can be really loud considering their size
- they will try to hypnotize you with their big and sad eyes, so that you give them more food (that's why there are so many overweight pugs). People with a very soft heart might overfeed their pug, which leads to health problems and limits their ability to walk and run even more
- they shed a lot, despite having only short fur
- they are hyper, a pug puppy is a "Live Wire". They need about 2 years to grow up and even then, it still needs around 3 more years until they become somewhat sedate.
- they love children (must have something to do with their size)
- they aren't as easy to train as many other breeds.
- they love people and want to spend their time with you.
- they come in fawn or black
In summary, Pugs are companion dogs, they want your attention and to be with you all the time.
What a pug can give you is unlimited affection and loyalty. They crave your approval, so pugs will try to do near to anything to please you.